Sunday, April 17, 2011

Geo-tagging

I'd like to take a brief moment and talk about my latest obsession in photography. While Christina works on perfecting her framing, white balance, contrast, and composition my concern is different- mainly where is the picture being taken. While I was travelling recently, I found that my phone has the ability to Geo-tag. For those of you who are not familiar with this, basically some cameras and phones have the ability to attach GPS coordinates of longitude and latitude to the picture being taken.

I realize this may not be that important to most people. I also realize that most people aren't as nerdy as I am. That's OK. We can't all be perfect. To me this has been like putting a digital push-pin on the map of places I've visited. Instead of finding an interesting picture, I often find myself thinking, “Do I have a picture that I've taken in Chicago? No? Well, let me take a random picture in the airport so that it'll show up on my map.”
Right now, I don't have any data access on my phone. I looked into the cost and basically it's about $15 US per kilobyte. For me to use my phone as I normally would this month, it would cost me in the ballpark of $1,500US. So I'm leaving the phone off. However, it still picks up the GPS signal. So I guess I can check Africa off the list. Maybe we'll get to Australia some day...

London Geo-Tag

No comments:

Post a Comment