Friday, April 15, 2011

The Pharmacy

One of the questions I was frequently met with as I prepared for this trip, and a question I liked to avoid, was, “So,  Matthew will be seeing patients in Kenya, and what are you going to do?”.  It distressed me a little.  I was assured that I was needed and that I would be put to work but my exact function was unclear.  I had this fear, with such a loosely defined role, that I would be only superficially needed, or that I would have time on my hands.  I've had jobs like that and nothing is worse than watching the clock, waiting for lunch or the end of the day.

This is why I have been so pleased with my position helping out at the pharmacy.  One major pharmacy serves both the out-patient needs and the wards.  The unit is always busy and I have always felt needed.  My first afternoon was spent learning the system and becoming familiar with the drugs – the commonly used trade names vs. the generic names.  All of which are a little different than what is used in the US.  My tasks range from restocking shelves to filling prescriptions. 

Most often I account for which medications and how many are distributed to which patients in the computer system.  The hospital uses a hybrid system of processing drug requests.  Most orders are handwritten and logged in the computer.  The pharmacy then reviews and verifies the orders and reconciles any discrepancies.  It is a somewhat tedious task that often reminds me of creating a plant schedule where size, number, common name and scientific names are specified, a common task during my time as a landscape architect.

I am most grateful for the people I work with in the pharmacy.  Everyone is unfailingly kind and patient.  They are always interested in teaching and never bothered by my endless questions.  Everyone who comes to the counter, patients and staff, is interested in the white girl, often greeting me with a smile and welcome.  It is truly a reflection of their culture that this has been such an easy transition.  After a few days here I have begun to feel comfortable (with my handmade cheatsheet of drugs), familiar enough with the rhythm of the day that I am able to anticipate the next task. 

The one regret is that I don't deal much with patients.  The mystery of this place is that three different languages are commonly spoken: Kikuyu (the tribal language wildly spoken in the central highlands), Swahili, and English.  And then there is another variation that is a hybrid of Swahili and English.  The pharmacist (there are 2 working in overlapping shifts) exclusively interact with the patients and staff in Kikuyu.  This leaves me in the dark.  They make jokes that I am not included in (maybe they are about me!).  But also, comments from staff and their exchange with physicians and nurses are always beyond my comprehension.  

An unexpected benefit of this position is that finally Matthew and I are working in the same world.  I know this sounds silly, but the endless talk about his work is now a little more of our common work.  Though much of it still is tedious and goes without comment from me it is nice that we are vested in the same interest of patient care and a well run hospital system.



No comments:

Post a Comment